Category Archives: Sales Tax Holidays/Tax Free Weekends

Canada Sales Tax Holiday & Tax Free Weekend?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no sales tax holidays or tax free weekends in Canada. Shoppers will pay the normal rate of tax on all goods and services. However, there is no provincial sales tax (PST) in the provinces of Alberta, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon. The national Goods & Services Tax (GST) of 5% does apply, however. Some provinces use a single Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) rate.

For quick reference, here are the current sales tax rates for Canadian provinces:

ALBERTA: 0% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate = 5%. (There is a 4% provincial tax on hotel/motel rooms and other forms of lodging.)



BRITISH COLUMBIA: 7% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate = 12%.

MANITOBA: 7% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate = 12%.



NEW BRUNSWICK: 8% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate of 13% HST.

NEWFOUNDLAND/LABRADOR: 8% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate of 13% HST.

NORTHWEST TERRITORIES: 0% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate = 5%.

NOVA SCOTIA: 10% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate of 15% HST.

NUNAVUT: 0% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate = 5%.

ONTARIO: 8% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate of 13% HST.

PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND: 10% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate of 15.5% effective HST. (PST is also applied to the 5% GST.)

QUEBEC: 9.5% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate of 14.975% HST. (PST is also applied to the 5% GST.)

SASKATCHEWAN: 5% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate = 10%. Additional 10% liquor consumption tax. Food sold in restaurants is not taxed.

YUKON: 0% PST, 5% GST. Total combined rate = 5% GST.

Even though there are no Canadian sales tax holidays, many stores will be holding back to school sales. Also, don’t forget the August Civic Holiday and Long Weekend sales on Monday, August 7, 2020.

For Canadians who live close to the U.S. border, remember that Montana and New Hampshire do not have a sales tax. Also, there is no tax on clothing, shoes, and other footwear in Minnesota.

FAQ

Are things closed on Mother's Day?

Mother's Day is not a federal holiday. Organizations, businesses and stores are open or closed, just as they are on any other Sunday in the year. Public transit systems run to their normal Sunday schedules. Restaurants may be busier than usual, as some people take their mothers out for a treat.

Is it Mother's Day today 2019?

When is Mother's Day 2019? In the UK the wonderful event will be celebrated on March 31, 2019. In the United States and many destinations around the globe, Mother's Day 2019 is being celebrated on Sunday, May 12. The special day is a chance for families to show their appreciation for their mothers.

When was Mother's Day May 8th?

Dates for Mother's Day from 2015 to 2025When is ...?DateDay of the weekMother's Day 2016May 8, 2016SundayMother's Day 2017May 14, 2017SundayMother's Day 2018May 13, 2018SundayMother's Day 2019May 12, 2019Sunday8 more rowsWhen is Mother's Day 2020 & 2021? Dates of Mother's Daywww.calendarpedia.com › when-is › mothers-day

Does Chipotle close on Easter?

Among the national chain restaurants, exceptions are Chipotle, which keeps most locations closed on Easter, and Chick-fil-A, which is closed in every location on every Sunday—so that obviously includes Easter.

Does Walmart Close on Easter?

Walmart understands the holiday struggle, which is why most locations will remain open during normal operating hours on Easter. That means Walmart Supercenter locations are open 24/7 and other stores follow their regular Sunday schedule. ... Whole Foods: Most stores are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Is Publix closed on Easter 2019?

All Publix stores and pharmacies are closed on Easter 2019. According to Publix's website: “All stores and pharmacies will be closed on Easter Sunday, April 21, so that our associates can share the day with family and friends. We'll be back to our regular hours on Monday, April 22, for your convenience.”

When did retail stores start opening on Sundays?

But the general practice of stores opening on Sundays year-round didn't start here until the early 1970s. Even when West Town Mall opened in the summer of 1972, its stores were closed on Sundays. They didn't start opening regularly on Sundays until the fall of 1973.

Are malls opened on New Year's Day?

Jan. 1 is traditionally a busy shopping day, and the vast majority of malls and major retailers will be open on New Year's Day 2018. ... Among them, Costco is closed on New Year's Day, and all locations for Aldi grocery stores are closed on New Year's Day.

What time does the Burlington Mall open for walkers?

Mall Hours:Monday to Saturday: 10am - 9pmSunday: 11am - 6pmMall Walking Hours:Monday to Sunday: 6am - 10amFloors: 3View Mall MapWelcome to Emerald ...

What are the holiday hours for King of Prussia Mall?

KING OF PRUSSIA, PA — Many malls will be offering extended hours in the days before Christmas. Here's a look at the hours at King of Prussia this holiday season. Dec. 20-21: 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Dec. 22-23: 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.

When did Roosevelt Field mall open?

1956Roosevelt Field